Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Heartbreaking Work...


After 3 guys I know alluded to the fact that Dave Eggers writes the way they think, I was intrigued and picked up his book, "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius." It should be noted that I actually started reading this book sometime last year, but couldn't stomach the book's initial depressing and graphic details of what life is like with cancer.


In general, I hate when I begin a book and let it fall by the wayside (which seems to be happening quite frequently lately), but I have to say, I'm so pleased I started reading this novel again. Egger's honest, and almost impulsive depiction of his life after the death of his parents is refreshingly so REAL. and even better- it's so damn FUNNY. I found myself snickering reading this book and often thinking, "is this heartbreaking or is this hilarious? i think it's both! how does he DO that?!"


As Eggers is thrown into fathering his younger brother at 22, he finds himself betwixt two conflicting roles: that of mentor/mature older brother/father, and that of hormonal 22 year old male (i realize that's more than two roles...5 roles is a little more accurate). He writes with a sardonic stream of consciousness flair that had me laughing out loud several times in public. I've never read a book that so well captures the scattered and often absurd nature of our own thoughts- our judgments, egos, fantasies, fears, anger, eccentricities, and loneliness.


As I read this book, I found myself relating to Eggars because he was honest about being greedy and self-involved- perhaps it made me feel more justified in that uglier side of my own humanity...but what is so brilliant about Eggars is that he achieves that connection, all the while bringing focus to the absurd humor in it all.


So, I definitely give this book an enthusiastic thumbs up. If you're a fan of sarcasm, honesty, and laughter, you will want to read this book. seriously, like, right NOW.


more later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

glad you read it & liked it. this book was HUGE for me when i read it. perhaps i'll revisit sometime soon.

Epiventures said...

lauren, if you're not going to update this blog more frequently and stuff, your readers are going to lose faith in you. like me for instance. geez man.