Monday, December 15, 2008

East of Eden. Thou Mayest. Timshel.



Steinbeck's "East of Eden" is a book that climbs into your soul and makes a home there. It is rare that I would name books life changing, but I feel that this novel will find its way into my thoughts throughout my life as I wrestle with my own humanity, and more importantly, my choices.


To me, this is a novel about the power of choice, and the lifelong impact (whether it results in destruction or self actualization) our choices have on our hearts. The choice to love or hate. The choice to stay or leave. The choice to give away, and potentially break, our hearts or preserve them in loneliness. But ultimately, this book is about the most basic and important of these choices- the choice to submit to good or submit to evil.


Steinbeck writes, "We have only one story. All novels, all poetry, are built on the neverending contest in ourselves of good and evil. And it occurs to me that evil must constantly respawn, while good, while virtue, is immortal. Vice has always a new fresh young face, while virtue is venerable as nothing else in the world is."


Steinbeck weaves an epic story of the California land and the people who make their lives there; their grand losses, loves, and fears are woven together with sincerity, but it is this inner struggle between good and evil that consumes and defines the plot. It seems that at the crux of the story is a conversation shared between three of its richest characters; Samuel, Lee, and Adam. They are rich, not because they are wholely good, but because Steinbeck makes us aware of their complexity- their deep understanding that to live is not to be perfect. To live is to struggle, to yearn to do evil, but choose to do good. Or conversely, to yearn to do good, but submit to the evil that often lies dark and dormant within us.


The conversation circles around the story of Cain and Abel, and Steinbeck makes the point that "no story has power, nor will it last, unless we feel in ourselves that it is true and true of us." The guilt that is felt by Cain after he slays Abel is woven into the lives of these three men, as I feel it is woven into the lives of all who read this novel. As they discuss and wrestle with the meaning of this Biblical story, Lee points out that it is important because in this story, we see ourselves. It is a story of rejection, of revenge, of the desire to be deeply loved and admired- unconditionally. This desire is so strong and powerful within us, that it can drive us to the very heart of evil- and all for the sake of feeling truly loved.


After Lee studies the differing translations of the Biblical story, in particular, how God responds to Cain and the problem of sin, he comes to an enlightening conclusion- the response God makes to Cain as he is tormented by his own sin is this, "Timshel," or "Thou mayest rule over sin." The element of choice enters the equation. In previous translations of the Bible, God commands, "Thou shalt" rule over sin, eliminating the element of choice. It is this element of choice that brings the men in Steinbeck's story freedom. The beauty of the human soul is found in our abiliy to choose.


I found this particularly profound in that I often feel burdened in life for simply feeling that I don't have a choice in what happens. I often feel a victim of circumstance in my own life- While it is true that much of what happens is beyond our control, we are also empowered to make choices in life- to choose good over evil. To choose peace over violence. To choose love. To use a Biblical phrase, the recognition of choice that Steinbeck has brought again to my awareness is like a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. As Lee says, "I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul. It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe. It is always attacked and never destroyed- because 'thou mayest.'"


There is no doubt that this novel had a profound impact on me. Steinbeck's beautiful, yet simple and succinct use of the English language is humbling. I was truly moved by this book. Add it to your collection.

No comments: